The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is the most frequently recognised basic qualification for English teachers in the world. A unique combination of theory and practice gives teachers fundamental knowledge, hands-on teaching experience as well as the ability to teach English competently in various contexts.
CELTA is regarded as a criterion for acceptance to most language schools worldwide.
Module title Target group Description
CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
• People starting a career in English language teaching
• People looking for a career change or career break
• People already teaching English without formal qualifications
• teaches you the principles of effective teaching
• provides a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
• gives candidates hands-on teaching practice and feedback from experienced tutors
The syllabus covers five main topics:
• learners and teachers and the teaching and learning context
• language analysis and awareness
• language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing
• planning and resources for different contexts
• developing teaching skills and professionalism
Cambridge regulations state that candidates must:
• be at least 20 years old by the end of the course
• have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers
• have a minimum of a high C1 level in English, both written and spoken that enables them to follow the course and complete all the assessed elements successfully.
It is also strongly recommended that candidates have formal school-leaving qualifications that entitle them to enter higher education.
Due to the demands of the course and in the interest of the candidates acceptance on the course is not automatic but through a selection procedure. This includes the completion of an application form, pre-interview tasks, and an interview.
Number of participants
Maximum 12 participants
A minimum of 120 contact hours and approx. 80–100 hours independent study and preparation time.
Intensive course in summer
Monday to Friday, 09.00–17.00
Start: Friday, 29 June 2018
End: Thursday, 26 July 2018
On Fridays and Saturdays, 09.00–17.00
Start: Friday, 12 October 2018
End: Saturday, 15 December 2018
Location of course
Basel: academia language school, Schifflände 3, CH-4051 Basel, Switzerland
Head of Teacher Training and Development
+41 (0)58 440 90 90
Certificate of completion
Certificates are awarded to candidates who meet the assessment criteria. Assessment is both continuous and integrated. There is no final examination.
The two types of assessment are:
Candidates teach for a total of 6 hours, working with adult classes at a minimum of two levels of ability.
Assessment is based on overall performance and progress.
The four written assignments (each 750–1,000 words) focus on:
• -analysing and responding to adult learner needs
• -analysing language for teaching purposes
• -teaching language skills
• -reflecting on classroom teaching
The possible certificate grades are: Pass A, Pass B, Pass, or “No Certificate Awarded”.